What is Digital Marketing SEO, and What Does it Do?
What is digital marketing SEO?
Digital Marketing SEO is an all-encompassing term to collect a variety of online marketing strategies aimed at increasing search engine placement, brand awareness, social interaction, conversion optimization, and sales.
There are dozens of niche areas of that define this idea and question of what is digital marketing SEO, including:
- Search engine optimization
- Pay-per-click advertising
- Affiliate marketing
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Forum marketing
- Relationship & reputation marketing
- Email marketing
… the list goes on and on.
The question of “what is digital marketing SEO” comes up frequently because webmasters and business owners have come to know that SEO best practices are the major factors as to why your site ranks well in search results.
What is Digital Marketing SEO? Profits.
That’s a fact.
There are other factors at play which determine the return on investment but generally speaking – if you’re able to pull in many people you’re going to do great with your earnings.
There is always room for improvement but it starts with collecting data – data that comes from visitors that go toward logical decisions on digital marketing SEO and on-site optimization.
Differences when asking what is digital marketing SEO and the rest of the marketing tactics should be explained, though. In the simplest of ideas, digital marketing SEO is a focus on search engine optimization strategies.
SEO is a subset of the digital marketing umbrella.
This is very important to remember when you’re taking a focus on the strategies. Or if you happen to be passing the task off to a professional. A digital marketing manager would be the one managing the SEO specialist – this is the person that is well-versed in the strategies and will be able to tell you what is digital marketing so effectively so you can keep up with the work you do. There is a hierarchy – and it’s important to know that.
Let’s go ahead and get into answering the question of what is digital marketing SEO, learn a little about its history, how it’s applied to websites and online campaigns, and where it may be going in the future.
What is Digital Marketing SEO? (A Short History)
Digital marketing SEO has gone through many different changes throughout the years. The early days almost seem archaic in comparison to the numerous factors that go into high ranking websites.
In the early days you could expect:
- Keyword stuffing
- Spam link building
- Aggressive paid campaigns
Today we’re seeing a renaissance with digital marketing SEO and the opportunity available to those operating even small websites. We are able to find sites which rank right on par with those operate by mega corporations.
The change in digital marketing SEO has mostly come from the following:
- A shift to up-to-date information (often shared through social channels)
- Complex link building schemes (using a multi-tiered approach)
- Extensive efforts into content and how users consume the work
Today you’re likely to work with a digital marketing SEO company that takes a multi-pronged approach. You can apply SEO basics to any website so it’s not enough when so many already understand the best practices.
Another important question: What is digital marketing SEO for the search engine companies we’re striving to please?
Google continues to update their search algorithms to keep competition active while protecting their assets – you never quite know what to expect in one of the many Google search updates so all that you can do is to apply best practices, keep up-to-date with the changes reported by authorities, and try to avoid making common mistakes with SEO to prevent long-term damages.
Google intends to deliver the best results for their users. When you think of the question of “what is digital marketing SEO” you also need to see it from their perspective — they aren’t out to get you — they just want to make sure you’re providing great information for their users.
What is Digital Marketing SEO and How is It Applied to a Campaign
Digital Marketing SEO companies will take a different approach to each campaign depending on the client’s needs and goals.
I, personally, often lean toward the content marketing side of link building and search engine optimization because, when think what is digital marketing SEO, I feel it has the greatest potential for long-term gain. But that’s just one approach.
The individual or company you work with may have completely different plans based on their personal experience.
A professional digital marketing SEO company may start with a foundation and begin to expand – remember that digital marketing SEO has become broad in its definition where just the search optimization is no longer the only thing in play.
Here is an example of how a company may approach the SEO for your business and satisfy your inquiry into what is digital marketing SEO:
- The early stages will take a focus on how to optimize the website at its core. This may be fixing up the HTML and CSS, improving loading times, converting to a mobile-friendly format, and tweaking the user experience. The point is to convert and keep people on the site as long as possible (one of the many factors) – expect this initial set of improvements to take a considerable amount of time depending on the size of the site.
- The secondary stages come in the form of expanding content and building links. Content is the reason people are landing on your site – there isn’t much of a value to create great content elsewhere to drive traffic if when they land they haven’t much to dig into. The other half is connected with authority sites to build links. You can do this process through guest posting, sponsorships, joint ventures, paid links, and more. The goal is to point more and more sites back to the “money pages” of the site.
- The top layer, feeding into all of the digital marketing SEO, is nowadays aimed at social. Social presence and activity is a major factor in digital marketing SEO. A company will examine and make improvements to your social platforms whether it’s adding eye-catching images or creating a posting schedule to keep followers engaged and sharing.
All of this, of course, will come with tracking to make improvements. As data flows through – it will give your SEO a greater understanding of the keywords to target, locations to build links around, and ways to optimize on-site conversions.
That data is later ported into paid advertising and reworking previous campaigns.
New data provides actionable, logical strategies. This data may take a good time to collect but it’s what really makes a difference when you’re allowing the digital marketing SEO company to run a long-term plan for the site.
But that’s now. What about the future? What is digital marketing SEO going and how can we be ready?
Digital Marketing SEO’s Future
The future of digital marketing SEO is still up in the air because Google tends to stay quiet about changes to their algorithm.
However, professionals often share their experiences and findings with another so we can begin to form an idea on where SEO may be going in the near future.
So far the consensus has been a few of the following:
- Real-time content updates, especially through social, will be one of the big factors as to what’s displayed since Google is trying to create a sort of “real-time Web” for its users. Without a doubt, the real-time Web needs to be a part of your digital marketing SEO strategy.
- Big Data is now hitting a real point of maturing especially since many of our household products are becoming connected to the Web. Those search queries you made with your Android phone may be a deciding factor in the results you find in a search. What is digital marketing SEO in this regard? Simple: It’s taking all that data and mapping out trends and information to improve results.
- Backlinks will continue to be a factor in search placement but may begin to take a back seat because of the tech advancements Google has made with its machine and AI learning. The systems are getting very intelligent – they are learning how we talk so content, create a natural tone, could soon have more weight than one that’s targeting specific keywords based around the idea of keyword density.
It’s all changing so fast which is why it’s often a good idea to side with a professional. You have a business to operate. It’s probably best you focus on what you know how to do and let the individuals that obsess about this digital marketing SEO stuff do what they do best.
It’s good that you ask the question of “what is digital marketing SEO”, though, because you’ll want to know what the professionals are doing.
Which brings us to our final point on digital marketing SEO, where it’s going, and how to keep up with the stiff competition…
Search engine optimization is an ongoing, uphill battle because the amount of competition reaching the Web is at an all-time high (and growing).
A business or individual project needs to place search engine optimization toward the top of their priority list if they are serious about the longevity of their work.
Great products, services, and content are lost to the noise when it’s not properly optimized – you wouldn’t want to spend all that time just for it to attract a depressingly low amount of eyeballs, wouldn’t you?
The answer is that you can do it on your own but will hit a point which is difficult to scale. After all, you have a business and website to run.
It’s important to know when it’s time to hand over the ongoing, heavy lifting to professionals. The individuals that are able to commit a few hours, each day, toward link building, advertising, social and all other aspects to help rank the website in search engines.
- Learn their track record
- Read their case studies
- Understand their techniques and strategies
- Get to know the team
- Have a big goal in mind!
Don’t know where to start? No problem.
Get in touch with us at ACE SEO Sydney to learn how we can help your website reach new levels of rankings, improve conversions, and send more money to the business account.
Now over to you.
What are your thoughts? What is digital marketing SEO for you and your business plans?
Which strategies have worked best for your cause? Share your tips, suggestions, and questions in a comment below!